The Best Composters

Just recently I wrote about what I though was the best composter as far as urban compost bin tumblers are concerned and they without doubt are the best composters by a large margin. The post, entitled the best urban compost tumbler has got me to thinking a bit more about the best composter. I have always been a strict traditionalist when it comes to my composting. I make my composting bins out of whatever I can lay my hands on. Bits of wood, chicken wire etc, basically anything and everything. As we have an awful lot of land we also have room for a lot of compost bins. We add an awful lot of materials and need a lot of room while the organic matter turns in to a nice friable mix.

I know, however, that this is not everyones situation. Many people have a relatively small amount of land, or do not have masses of matter to compost. This is where the rotating compost bin comes in. I have already written about how quickly they will create compost, and also that they are a much tidier arrangement if you have to make compost where the composting bin can be seen. What I will touch on today is choosing the best composter out of the myriad different rotating compost bins that are available. Previously I wrote that as far as I am concerned the Achla CMP-05 Spinning Horizontal Composter is much better than the vertical units because it will be much easier to spin. It is also very competitively priced and is the best selling urban compost tumbler on Amazon. Lets look at what else would make the best composter.

The Best Composter

urban compost tumblerSo, I already stated that for a good price the Achla is my choice. The fact that it is horizontal simply makes it easier to use if you are of a slight build or worry about turning a composting tumbler as it gets full. There are a few other reasons why this seems like such a good tumbling composter but it applies to others as well. That is the color.

If you can, especially in cooler climates, try to get a composter that is black. This color will absorb the heat from the sun and will aid the composting process. This extra heat will do nothing but good. If you do get a black compost bin tumbler I would ensure that you keep the contents moist. You may find out that the extra heat will mean it dries out a little more quickly inside. Just check on it regularly, maybe as you are about to rotate it to churn up the contents. It is a simple matter of adding a little extra water, or, my preference is to add some of the water that you wash the dishes with. This way you will save water and be adding the nutritious contents that come of the dirty dishes to your composter.

The best composters will always be a dark color if possible, dark green or black is always preferable over a light color, and if it may be difficult for you to turn a vertical urban compost tumbler, try a horizontal one for ease of use.

1 comment:

  1. I have to disagree with the importance you place on the colour of a composter.

    Last summer, we had a grey, cool spell. Our compost, in the meantime, was sitting at 53C. Was that from the black plastic? No, it was because composting produces its own heat--far more than the difference made by the colour of the composter.

    ReplyDelete