The Best Compost Tumblers

I seem to be thinking about the urban compost tumbler quite a lot lately. I think it is just because I am still amazed at just how quickly they can make compost. I was very dubious indeed about the claims that you could make compost in 2-3 weeks with a composting tumbler. I investigated these claims thoroughly and wrote about them in the compost bin tumbler post. I also touched briefly on what seemed to be the best rotating compost bin as well. I did not give it a thorough investigation though, and that is what I will be looking at today.

Although some of the compost tumblers are very cheap, some can also be quite a bit of an expense and I want to make sure that what is purchased is of the best quality and well worth the money. In my usual manner I have spent way too much time trying to find the best tumbling composter I can, you can save yourself some time by reading on. I will break it down in to two sections. The best urban compost tumbler on a budget and the best composting tumbler overall, without money being the main consideration. If you are looking to purchase one of these so you can get super quick compost then have a read and then start composting.

The Best Urban Compost Tumbler By Price

tumbling composterAfter having searched the web for reviews and price comparisons I have come to a conclusion. Although many tumbling composters have very good reviews there is one drawback to some of them. It is that the drum is vertical. For most people this is not an issue, but for some people once they are quite full it may be hard to rotate them with total ease. This turning or rotating is at the core of why they are so effective at making compost. If you have any doubts that you will be easily able to spin the drum then I have found the perfect answer. It is the Achla CMP-05 Spinning Horizontal Composter. For me this design wins hands down. It is on a horizontal axis so there is absolutely no effort involved in turning it to aerate the contents and speed up the composting process. Also, not surprisingly it is the number one best seller on Amazon under the compost bins section. It must be very popular, and I can see why.

At such a low price it is also one of the cheapest on the market. It is heavily discounted so now is definitely the time to buy it. If I had a budget but still wanted a very high quality tumbling compost bin then this is what I would definitely buy.

The Best Overall Urban Compost Tumbler Regardless Of Price

I touched on this model briefly in the composting tumbler post. It is the Mantis 4000-00-02 ComposT-Twin Composting Bin. Again it spins on a horizontal axis so it is very easy to turn and can be used by anyone. The main advantage I see is the fact that it has two chambers. This means you can fill one up and while you are waiting a few weeks for your compost you can start filling the second chamber. Now, it is not cheap at $500 but this is the only drawback to it.

If price was no object I would certainly purchase this model. However, there is another thing to consider but that depends on the space you have available. That option is to buy two of the Achla horizontal model. It would still be cheaper than buying this dual chamber model. The problem with this is the room that would be needed. I think if room was not an issue I would probably go with this option, but it does seem a little over the top. I think the dual chamber model is definitely the best option if you have the money.

As I wrote previously, before thinking that it is too expensive, consider how much a year you spend on potting soil and compost etc in bags. You may find that the more expensive model will still pay for itself in a few years. These urban compost tumblers are definitely as good as the manufacturers say they are. For very quick compost I would certainly at least purchase the cheaper tumbler compost bin.

No comments:

Post a Comment